Exploring Your Financial Assistance Options

For many people, the first step towards a rewarding and exciting new career is truck driving school. After you graduate from trucking school and obtain your commercial driver’s license (CDL) you’ll be able to fill any number of the available truck driving positions with local transportation companies, national carriers, and many other organizations in need of professional drivers. One of the biggest obstacles for many people considering truck driving school is the cost of tuition. Fortunately, there are sources of financial assistance available to those who qualify.

Military GI Education Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is a VA-administered financial aid program available to active servicemen and women as well as former armed forces members who have at least 90 days of active duty service following September 11, 2001. If you qualify for the GI Bill benefits, contact an admissions representative at Yuma Trucking School to discuss your enrollment options.

Credit Cards and Personal Loans

Although you will still have to pay the full price of tuition plus interest, paying with a credit card or taking out a personal loan allows you to enroll in truck driving school and start your career sooner instead of having to wait until you save up to pay tuition on your own. If taking out a personal loan, come in and meet with us so we can tell you what the full cost of the program plus training and licensing will cost.

Motor Carrier Training Reimbursement

If you have already lined up a job with a motor carrier, or if you currently work for a trucking company in some capacity other than a driver, you may be able to take advantage of available training reimbursement programs through your employer. In some cases motor carriers will either reimburse you the cost of truck driving school after graduation or may even pay for you to go to trucking school without any out-of-pocket expenses.

To learn more about your financial assistance options for attending trucking school, contact Yuma Truck Driving School. We are a nationally-recognized truck driver training school that provides Class A and Class B CDL training and refresher courses. Call us toll-free at (888) 647-3239 to speak with one of our admissions representatives.

Class A vs. Class B CDL

When you graduate from truck driving school you’ll be able to obtain either a Class A or Class B CDL, but you can start preparing yourself for your new career in other ways if you understand the differences between these two truck driving licenses ahead of time. Here are some things you should know about the differences between Class A and Class B licenses.


The main difference between Class A and Class B driving licenses is the types of vehicles license carriers are permitted to operate. Basically, if the weight of a vehicle excluding any trailers is over 26,001 pounds, you need either a Class A or Class B CDL to drive it. If the trailer(s) weight over 10,000 pounds, a Class A is required. That’s why most of the vehicles that only require Class B CDLs are box trucks, city buses, and dump trucks with small trailers. Class A CDL carriers can operate any commercial vehicle required to have a Class B or even Class C license.


One of the most common questions new and aspiring drivers ask is, “which license is better for my career?” The answer depends on a number of different factors, including the type of driving you want to do. There are lots of job openings for Class B drivers, but keep in mind that Class B holders don’t qualify for Class A driving positions. This means that, while there are still ample career opportunities for Class B drivers, a Class A CDL will provide more opportunities since any commercial driving position that requires a CDL (Class A, B, or C) will be available to you.


Because of the differences between Class A and Class B licenses, the training time involved to master Class A CDL skills and obtain a Class A license is generally longer than that for the other license types. In other words, you may can earn your Class B CDL faster and start your career sooner, but there are more opportunities available if you earn your Class A designation.

If you are interested in pursuing either a Class A or Class B CDL, Yuma Truck Driving School can help you achieve your goals. For a closer look at our programs and certifications, visit our website or call us at (888) 647-3239.