What to Know About the Tanker Endorsement

To become a certified truck driver, the first step is to earn your commercial driver’s license (CDL). Then, you can take additional endorsement tests that demonstrate your knowledge and broaden your truck driving expertise. One of the available endorsements is for tanker vehicles. 


More information about what a tanker endorsement is, what vehicles require it, and how to earn one for yourself:

What is a Tanker Endorsement?

A tanker endorsement, also known as an N endorsement, is a type of certification that is used in combination with a trucker’s CDL. It signifies that they are qualified to transport liquid and gas in bulk. This widens the range of job opportunities available to truckers earning their licenses.

Many jobs require an X endorsement instead of just a tanker endorsement alone. The X endorsement combines the tanker and hazardous materials (hazmat) endorsements to allow drivers to haul hazardous materials such as gasoline. 

Vehicles That Require a Tanker Endorsement

Truck drivers need a tanker endorsement to operate a tank vehicle.


To determine if your load will require a tanker endorsement, check to see if these three facts apply:


  • Your cargo includes individual containers of liquid or gas with a capacity of over 119 gallons.
  • The containers are loaded on your vehicle and not empty.
  • The combined volume of all of the liquid and gaseous materials in the load exceeds 1,000 gallons.


If all three apply to your load, then you will need a tanker endorsement to haul it. These guidelines are outlined in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) in section 383.119 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

How to Earn a Tanker Endorsement

In order to earn your tanker endorsement, you will have to pass the tanker endorsement knowledge test. This written test contains around 25 multiple-choice questions and allows up to five mistakes. Once you have paid for and passed the test, you have the N endorsement on your CDL.

Obtaining an X endorsement is a bit more complicated. In addition to paying for and passing your tanker endorsement knowledge test, you must also pass a hazmat knowledge test and Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) background check. This process can take up to six weeks to complete.

Important information to familiarize yourself with before taking the endorsement exam includes how liquids and gasses move compared to other types of freight and how to prepare for a surge. There are also additional requirements that need to be met in order to pass your tanker endorsement exam. 


A few additional requirements are:


  • You must be 18 years of age or older.
  • You must have a valid United States passport.
  • You must pass an eye exam.

Earn Your Tanker Endorsement at Yuma Truck Driving School

At Yuma Truck Driving School, you have the opportunity to take the first step toward becoming a certified trucker by enrolling in our CDL program. We have helped hundreds of students not only pass their exams but become the type of professional drivers that companies rely on. Our program includes three endorsements: hazmat, tanker, and doubles/triples.

Contact Yuma Truck Driving School today for more information.